Internet connection via cordless phone extension

Peter J 13:10 15 Apr 2006

Hi,

We have a computer upstairs in the loft which we would like to connect to the internet. We do not have a phone point in the room, but I am wondering whether it is possible to connect the computer to the internet via a cordless digital handset. So far I haven't seen a extension phone with an RJ45? socket that could be used to connect with the computer.
I would be quite happy to have a base unit downstairs and the extension phone in the loft, if this is achievable.
I guess I could try and set up a wireless network if there is no viable alternative.
Many Thanks
Peter

Diodorus Siculus 13:11 15 Apr 2006

Are you on broadband? If so, wireless is by far the best and easiet solution for you.

Stuartli 13:25 15 Apr 2006

>>haven't seen a extension phone with an RJ45? socket that could be used to connect with the computer.>>

The modem lead would fit into a splitter (ADSL filter) that is plugged into the extension phone socket. The extension phone and your modem cable would then be plugged into the splitter.

You will also need a splitter for all other phones and devices such as answering machines around the house.

This is only if you don't decide to go the wireless route as suggested by Diodorus Siculus as a BB connection should really be run from the Master socket.

Peter J 13:58 15 Apr 2006

Thanks
We do have BT Broadband basic package for our computer downstairs. I believe that this package limits us to only one user.

If we go down the wireless route then we will have to upgrade our package and buy the hardware required.

StuartLi, the loft does not have an extension socket in the wall, but is served by a cordless phone unit that communicates wirelessly with a base unit downstairs.

As we are able to obtain a dialing tone from the 2nd phone unit, I was hoping that we could somehow connect to it the back of computer and dial-out to ISP.

If this is not easily achievable then wireless BB will be my best option after all.

Thanks for your input.
Peter

Diodorus Siculus 15:19 15 Apr 2006

How are you limited to one user? I'm on BT Business and that is for one user but BT support told me that there will be no problems in using it on two PCs - there is no technical way of limiting to one PC. So I have it upstairs in my office and downstairs in another office - it is only on rare occasions that both are in use.

If you install a wireless router you will be able to connect anywhere within range of the router - mine is on the middle floor of five and a connection can be found on any floor.

It's worth speaking to BT about it and ask their advice.

supersneak 15:25 15 Apr 2006

I believe AOL block additional users, but most other isps should be ok. At home we can have 5 PCs connected at the same time using a router and wireless/ethernet connections.

anchor 16:17 15 Apr 2006

Don`t know about BT, but I am on Pipex broadband and use the router on my main PC & my laptop (which is connected by wireless/Ethernet).

Same user, (me), and have no problems using them both at the same time.

It may not be the case if you wish to make simultaneous connections with two different user names.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 15 Apr 2006

1. Advantage Cheapest / easiest (no router)
Disadvantage both machines need to be on at same time

wireless network using wireless cards or dongles on both machines and internet connetion sharing.click here

2. Advantage only need the one machine on
disadvantage more costly.

use a wireless router+ modem connected to machine downstairs and wires card / dongle in machine upstairs

Stuartli 16:32 15 Apr 2006

Most ISPs have no objection to wireless use - but they do stipulate that they will not provide support if you come up against problems i.e such as initially not being able to get it to work.

That is perfectly reasonable and acceptable as it is outside the terms of the basic contract.

ruskle 20:58 15 Apr 2006

I tried to go down this route years ago and I was assured that it was totally impossible to link either a dial up or a broadband PC to a cordless phone. I did solve the problem with dial up, (just to prove the experts wrong) by using a device whereby the speaker and earpiece fit over a rubber sealing and send the data whatever down the line, I had one in the days before modems were commonplace. These gadgets would only work with the old time BT handsets because of the profile of the handset.
There is no way this sytem would work with broadband.
Go Wi Fi nowadays cheap and easy, you can link more than one PC to Wi Fi, I have 3 in my office.

Ruskle.

Peter J 21:26 15 Apr 2006

Thanks everybody
It is clear that wireless BB is best way forward.
I will get the hardware and try to set up a wireless BB home network.
If I have any questions during the process I will ask in PCA Networking forum.

thanks

Pete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017