Internet connection

SallyC 09:45 13 Apr 2010

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop (Windows XP home edition) & recently changed my broadband provider. When I tried to go on-line (ethernet connection) I got the IP 169. error message. I contacted the provider & we tried a couple of things, but they finally said that as the modem was working fine with our other laptop they couldn't help any further as it was a problem with the laptop, not the connection.
After spending some time working on the problem with a couple of friends who know quite a lot - we got a connection by manually inputting the IP & DNS addresses. But I logged on this morning & it's gone again. I checked the internet protocol & that's still reading OK. I've tried switching the modem off & on, rebooting the laptop, running cc cleaner, running the spyware scan, and going through the windows network repair but nothing. Network repair said that it was not picking up a dialing tone, but the second laptop is picking up the connection automatically.
Can anyone help?
And can anyone explain (simply please!) why one laptop can detect the IP address when the other can't.
Any help would be much appreciated
Sally

birdface 10:10 13 Apr 2010

Maybe try Tools.Internet Options.Connections.Lan settings.And tic automatically detect settings.Ok.Apply.Ok see if that works.
Or do you use a dial up connection.

SallyC 13:37 13 Apr 2010

Thanks buteman - I checked & automatically detect settings was already ticked.

rdave13 14:16 13 Apr 2010

' Network repair said that it was not picking up a dialing tone'?
Check that 'never dial a connection' is ticked in tools, internet options,connections tab.

SallyC 17:51 15 Oct 2010

The problem was the wireless card - which meant I had to have the whole o/p system replaced by Dell. Bad couple of weeks, but now works fine. Thanks to everyone for their help

birdface 21:00 16 Oct 2010

Bad 6 months you mean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017