Internet Con lost if PC not used for a few min

Halmer 08:30 13 May 2008

On my wireless Vista laptop, if I do not use the internet for 5 minutes or so (for example if I am compiling a long e-mail on a web based mail application and then try to send it) it seems to lose the connection. I get a timed out 'try again' message on Firefox.

The same happens if you put the Laptop down for a while and then resume surfing the net. You have to try a few times to get it up and running again. Is there a 'time out' setting somewhere or something else similar please?

Technotiger 08:32 13 May 2008

Have a look in Control Panel>Power management ...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:57 13 May 2008

also check wirelss card in device manager - properties - power managemant tab - untick "allow computer to turn off"

Halmer 11:16 13 May 2008

I can't find that sorry.

Poitier 11:55 13 May 2008

On dialup some ISPS used to disconnect if idle for a certain length of time and it was necessary to click the scroll bar occasionly to maintain a connection.

Halmer 09:30 14 May 2008

Bump

brundle 10:06 14 May 2008

As suggested the above doesn't apply for wireless connections to a router or for router connections to the ISP, though there is a time-out period or idle-time that can be adjusted in most router configurations. (Linksys in this example click here - Connect on Demand, Max Idle Time)
Do you get the problem anywhere you use a wireless connection with that PC? Do you have other wireless machines that work with none of the same problems? Laptop make & model? Router make and model?

Halmer 15:15 15 May 2008

you were right I think thank you. Linksys set to 5 mins idle time. Have set to keep alive ta.

Halmer 15:17 15 May 2008

on the assumption that it's sorted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017