internet always on

gert66 23:00 19 Jan 2006

running windows xp every time i switch pc on the tv screens in task bar say i am connected to internet should i not have to log in then get connected i have just installed broadband 1 week ago and it seems fine.

VoG II 23:06 19 Jan 2006

You have already had the answer click here

Why have you started a new thread?

Kev.Ifty 23:37 19 Jan 2006

So if you then click on your ISP's Icon on your Desktop, to enable browsing. Does it just connect?

What about checking your start up configuration. See if there is any program set to connect automatically when Windows starts.

paddy75 00:01 20 Jan 2006

I Think what Gert66 is saying is every time he switches his computer on it automatically connects to the internet,he does not want this to happen,i told him to go to settings,internet options,connections and tick the box never dial a connection but this has not helped.Paddy

gudgulf 00:17 20 Jan 2006

The broadband connection to your modem IS always on....That's the idea.

That means the ADSL signal from the BT exchange to your pc is active.

That does not mean you are connected to you ISP though....in order to get an active usable connection you have to log on to your ISP.

However,many broadband connections are set to automatically log on to the ISP when the computer boots up.

I'm on AOL and can choose to either log on as needed or set it to log on automatically at boot.....I prefer a manual log on as and when necessary.

When I'm not logged on my BT 105 ADSL modem shows that it is connected to the exchange and the maximum speed of the line to my house (2.2 Mbps...I'm on a 1Meg connection).

You need to check the settings for your ISP and see if it is logging you on automatically.

Forum Editor 00:36 20 Jan 2006

on the same subject.

Your question was answered in the thread you posted earlier, so I'm going to lock this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone