Internet Access Windows XP

  number cruncher 17:35 14 Jan 2003
Locked
  number cruncher 17:35 14 Jan 2003

I've lost Internet Access on my Windows XP PC following (I think) installing McAfee QuickClean and rashly cleaning up too much space. My guess is that it has deleted a file which is needed for access. What happens is that the dialling, connecting to the ISP (Tiscali) etc all works, and it seems to accept my user name and password, but then Internet Explorer will not load any websites - it immediately gives one of its standard error messages (can't remember exactly which), with no sign of Internet usage in the little icons in the bottom right of the screen. A very small number of bytes seem to be sent/received initially but that is it.

I've tried installing a CD from a new ISP, which gives me a WinSock initialisation error - not sure if that sheds any light on the problem.

Any suggestions about what can be done to resolve this?

  spaciousmonti 19:35 14 Jan 2003

winsock32 is a file your computer needs to access the internet, tcp/ip works with winsock. Boot up from your xp disc and press R to repair your installation, this should reinstall the file that is missing. dont worry, this wont delete anything from your harddrive, it will basically replace all the windows xp files with brand new ones. alterativly, if you were forward thinking enough to set a restore point before this problem, try resstoring to this.

Good luck.

spacious

  graham 19:38 14 Jan 2003

I had this problem earlier this evening, must have just been a server kicking off somewhere.

  number cruncher 22:47 14 Jan 2003

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know about Windows XP restore points until someone I spoke to this evening mentioned them - but I found one had been set and restoring from there solved the problem.

I never really looked into all the differences between Windows XP and my previous system (which was Windows 95 based) - I just got it because it was the operating system on offer. But this restore thing seems very worthwhile.

Not sure what the issue was with the McAfee software, but it certainly didn't seem to agree with my computer (or perhaps it was my cavalier view that when it said 'delete temporary internet files', that would be OK...). There are a few comments on their website about bugs in it, so I'm going to be more cautious if I try to use it in future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone