Internet access - USA

Diodorus Siculus 18:51 05 Jun 2004

I have to go to the US (Chicago area) next week rather unexpectedly and want to know how I can get internet access via my laptop while there.

I will stay with friends who have a phone but no internet access themselves.

My ISP here does not have any facility for travelling abroad. Are there any ISPs here which I can sign up to temporarily (PAYG) which will give me access in the US?

Suggestions re. what I can do to get access - dial up with SMTP server access preferably - very welcome.

stalion 19:05 05 Jun 2004

try here click here not sure if it is what you want. Regards

Graham ® 19:16 05 Jun 2004

AOL springs to mind! Pick up a CD in a US computer store.

Diodorus Siculus 19:23 05 Jun 2004

Thanks for those; the easyNetDial option seems to be the sort of thing I was looking for.
Don't really want to install AOL; I have had problems removing it from peoples machines in the past.
While searching, I found this: click here - buy a prepaid phone card here in the UK and it will give free ISP access in the US and other countries. £5 cred give 250 minutes; more than enough for checking mail.

I will leave this open in case anyone has anything to add.

VoG II 19:30 05 Jun 2004

1) You lucky sod! assuming that this is not to do with a bereavement or similar; if so apologies and condolences.

2) A business friend managed to run up a $1000+ bill in a hotel when dialling-up to the UK over a one week trip to the states. You were right to ask!

Diodorus Siculus 19:44 05 Jun 2004

VoG™ - no, nothing to apologise for! Being a man of leisure [read: self-employed]I was given the opportunity to go there to catch up with an old university friend who lives in Malaita (South Pacific) for most of the year. He is unexpectedly going to Chicago and suggested we meet up. But being away from the internet is not ideal for me - a commission may arise and I will need it to pay for the trip! :-}

Lucky sod? Yes I suppose I am!

bremner 20:18 05 Jun 2004

Recently spent two weeks in a Hilton Hotel in the US.

Used their phone line in my room to connect up laptop modem. Signed up online with MSN free for three months. Phone rate was 86 cents per call inc taxes.

At the end of two weeks cancelled with MSN.

Diodorus Siculus 09:25 06 Jun 2004

Bump... any more thoughts?

TomJerry 10:26 06 Jun 2004

~

Diodorus Siculus 08:49 07 Jun 2004

As an update, when I went for a newspaper this morning, I got 3 £5 cards for £9.50 in the newsagents shop. Each should give 250 minutes in the US - I'll report back with the results. :-}

Diodorus Siculus 19:08 21 Jun 2004

Further update:

I have been here in Chicago now for about two weeks and internet access is simple. Well worth the effort of getting it sorted out.

FWIW, prices are no great incentive here for purchasing electronic goods - the dollar is fairly low so that is some help, but I have not seen any great bargains that would make me want to spend my money.

Anyway, another week or so left I think... something might appear!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?