Internet Access from distant computer

rozelle 15:14 25 Aug 2006

Hi,

I have Windows XP and Broadband access through Wanadoo/Orange.
My son is coming to visit shortly and he will be bringing his office notebook computer because when he is here, he needs to have internet access. He is saying with his desktop PC at home, if he wants to get internet access with his notebook, he just has to
"pull through the network cable, open a browser and you are automatically connected to the internet". The he adds, "once I have internet connection I can connect to ------- [ the firm he works for ].
I have no objection to my own computer being temporarily disconnected from broadband whilst he uses his notebook one. However, I am not sure if we need anything for this to work - I do not have a network cable, as far as I know. If such a thing is necessary, are they expensive and would they be easy to fix??

Has anyone any ideas please???

Many thanks

Maggie

geewis357 15:32 25 Aug 2006

Hi Rozelle,
You will not have to suffer any temp disconnection, if both pc's are running XP pro all you need is a crossover cable around £6 - 10 and run the network wizard and make sure that your pc will let other pc's to conect to the internet through your pc and thats all there is to it. both pc's can surf at the same time. I one or both pc's are running XP home then full networking will not be possable (sharing files and folders from one pc to another) but connection sharing will be possable. Hope this helps

rozelle 21:09 25 Aug 2006

Hi Geewis

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I only have XP Home, not sure what my son has. I will pass the information from you on to him. I have been told that my computer would need something called Lan and since my computer is four years old, I do not have this.
Whatever, will try out what you have suggested.

Your help was much appreciated.

Maggie

VoG II 21:18 25 Aug 2006

Do you have broadband?

rozelle 21:36 25 Aug 2006

Hi Vog

Yes, I do have Broadband and quite a high spec computer, though as I said, it is over four years old now and it does lack certain elements such as only USB 1 and no USB 2 slots inside the CPU to take any update and of course no Lan facility.

Maggie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone