Internal USB Stress!!!!

jimmymac78 19:45 12 May 2003

Just got my self a card reader drive for my spare floppy bay. The connection, internally, is a choice of USB 1or2 and is designed to plug into a spare USB spot in the motherboard (via 1 small connector with 3 inputs labled: vcc, d1- and d1+. and another connecter labled: gnd) Cant seem to find spare spot in the motherboard for luv nor money??

Any ideas/solutions????

Many thanks in advance!!!!

billyliv 20:24 12 May 2003

Hi, Need to know what your motherboard is before help is at hand. Possibly your board doesn't support front USB. cheers, Bill

jimmymac78 21:37 12 May 2003

'fraid i dont know the motherboard, it's a Dell Dimension 4400 if that helps?

dell tend to use propriortry mobos its very unlikely that it has a pin header on the board, the beauty of a dell is only skin deep.

billyliv 23:25 12 May 2003

Hi, Having looked at the Dell site and the model you quoted, yes it does support front usb, so somewhere on your board are pins to connect to, unfortunately, Dell doesn't show the motherboard but at that price somewhere amongst your insallation discs there will be a CD with the board manual on it. I am a bit concerned that a card reader has to be connected to USB connectors. Surely there are header pins on the board (At that Spec.) for card readers. My Intel board ,2 years old now has such connectors. Cheers, Bill

woodchip 23:45 12 May 2003

If it?s a old comp look near the back of the computer for two rows side by side 8 pins altogether two rows of four, they are USB header pin's there could be 10 two rows of four tell us the colour of the wires

billyliv 23:56 12 May 2003

Hi, It isn't an old comp. It is a P4. Front USB header pins are marked USB 3 and USB4 (normally) 9 pins are generally used if you are connecting 2 front USB sockets. You will have :- 1 VCC, 1 Data+, 1 Data-, 1 GND. 2,VCC, 2 Data+, 2 data-, 2GND. The 9th connector is the earth which will connect to pin 9. cheers, Bill

jimmymac78 00:20 13 May 2003

cheers bill...

all sorted, thanks for the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?