Internal PCI to wireless external

picklefactory 15:06 02 Oct 2006

Hello folks. I currently have a PCI ADSL modem in my pc but I want to change to an external wireless router due to having broadband issues with the PCI connecting/disconnecting each time pc is switched off/on. I don't know much about this area, could do with a bit of advice please.
Am I right in thinking (Over simplified but...)that if I buy a wireless router with a USB adaptor for the pc, I simply plug phone line and mains into router and USB into pc, jiggle with settings and Hey Presto, wireless broadband? Or is there any other kit I need?
Also can I just leave the PCI in the pc and keep it as emergency back up, will it interfere with anything? Is a router also a modem, or do I need a sort of combo thing, and need to be looking for router/modem and not just a router. Does the router keep the broadband connction open and can I still use my existing PCI modem and still switch pc off without dropping connection?
Sorry for so many questions, hope I'm not babbling insanely.
Thanks

ade.h 17:31 02 Oct 2006

The PCI modem needs to go and it gets replaced with an ADSL modem/router (A router is NOT a modem, but a modem/router is!) True with a USB modem in most cases, but particularly true for your PCI modem. After all, there is no connection between a network host and its clients other than a LAN cable or wifi link so it is phyiscally impossible to send an internet connection UP to a host FROM a client. Internet connections can only come from the host to the clients. Hence even ad-hoc networks have a host. If this is a desktop PC, use a PCI card, making certain that it supports WPA or WPA2 encryption.

click here

picklefactory 06:08 03 Oct 2006

Thanks ade.h, that link will be very useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?