internal or external hd

musiclady 15:03 14 Oct 2010

which should i do for internal or external for my desktop pc?

rawprawn 15:40 14 Oct 2010

Depends what you want, I run an External HDD because I can back up to it. That way if your internal HDD dies you have another source which is totally seperate.
If your internal HDD is getting full, you can use the external for storage, or simply just leave your OS on your C: drive and use the external drive for all your data etc

musiclady 16:28 14 Oct 2010

if i got an external hd could i load that with my os then transer all my data from my internal hd

gazzaho 16:30 14 Oct 2010

An internal drive will be faster at data transfer than a USB external drive. The exception is E-SATA (External-SATA) which remains the same, but your system would need an E-SATA socket and you would need to purchase an external drive with an E-SATA connection and cable to get the benefit.

The benefits of an external is you can use them on more than one computer, if you're going to use the drive for general use then external should suffice, however if you are intending on transferring files a lot and transfer speed is important then an internal might be preferable.

gazzaho 16:36 14 Oct 2010

musiclady

The OS would be best left on the internal C: drive as a lot of problems may result having the OS on an external. To be honest, the question you're asking tells me you don't have much experience with computer hardware, as a result if you just need a drive for storing documents, music and video files a USB external would be the simplest to set up, you just plug it in and use it.

john bunyan 16:42 14 Oct 2010

I would go for a removable SATA caddy - then you can remove it for safety, but have the speed of an internal drive. Maplin do one that switches on with a key. See Here:
click here

I would partition your main drive into, say, 100 gig for OS and balance for data.
You can also have one or more external HD's - do not forget back up!!

donki 16:51 14 Oct 2010

Internal all the way for me if your case is big enough, I have 3. No clutter, faster, less USB or firewire cables and more reliable IMO. Its no harder to instal a hard disk internally than it is to set up an external one.

Whats the 2nd drive for?

donki 16:54 14 Oct 2010

What would you want your operating system on an external drive for? It wouldnt be the quickest and could lead to boot problems if you dont know what your doing.

musiclady 17:36 14 Oct 2010

think im going for this one
click here

gazzaho 14:18 15 Oct 2010

As long as your system supports SATA then what donki says is right, installation of the drive is straightforward, you just connect two leads, the power and data transfer lead. It can be more difficult with the older IDE (PATA) drive format, IDE drives néed to have jumpers set in order for them to work.

You will undoubtedly have to format the drive when installed which can be done through disk management, I use the quick format option myself with internal disks as a full format can take quite a while to complete.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 15 Oct 2010

Thats a bare drive to install in your machine you will need a spare power cable from your PSU and spare SATA socket on your motherboard.

You will need to buy as SATA cable as well as some screws to secure the drive in the drive bays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?