internal or external adsl modem?

GYPSY 23:33 23 Sep 2004

I am doing my homework before getting broadband, however i am a bit confused as to why most people seem to opt for an external modem (possibly because that is what is generally supplied) does anyone have any comments or advice. A pci modem seems the easiest option if one is not supplied by the broadband provider, and what comments have anyone on plumbing in an external modem either by ethernet conn, or usb.
your help would be appreciated.

Jeffers22 23:46 23 Sep 2004

External modems have all the processing done within the modem itself and do not rely on the CPU or Windows to assist. As such they therefore offer greater speed and also less drain on the system resources. The disadvantage is the extra power supply needed and the additional desk space.

I always had internal dial up modems (but never a winmodem) but have opted for external for BB - but I also wanted a router for etworking of and distriboution of internet BB conncetion to a second PC, my son's PC and my laptop.

Would add that I would always go for ethernet. Heard too many tales of USB modemsdropping connection because the USB was not able to maintain sufficient and constant power. Ethernet modem (nearly all of them) also offers greater connectivity than a USB modem.

GYPSY 19:44 24 Sep 2004

Very useful help Jeffers22 thanks,that has clarified a lot. I will not need a router as i will only be using my pc, but would you still advise getting an ethernet card for the better connectivity(they are quite cheap)as my pc although not that old, hasn't got one.

GYPSY 19:45 24 Sep 2004

Very useful help Jeffers22 thanks,that has clarified a lot. I will not need a router as i will only be using my pc, but would you still advise getting an ethernet card for the better connectivity(they are quite cheap)as my pc although not that old, hasn't got one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?