Internal Multi Card Reader / WRITER

Furkin 11:07 22 Mar 2011

I want to replace my old card READER Only with a Reader/WRITER.
I thought it would be simple enough,,, but the only Reader/Writer units that I see now are classed as 3.5". I bought one of these as it stated "will fit all standard cases". My case is a standard ACER T120 desktop. When the unit arrived, I realised that the 3.5" referred to the deapth (front to back) of the unit.
My unit needs to be almost 5" deep, to reach the fixing clip of the Acer case.

I don't mind bastardising a 3.5" one to fit my bracket,,,, but it's a matter of finding one that will actually allow this.

Does anyone know if there are any Reader/writers that will fit my machine being made/sold please ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whilst I say that my case is an Acer T120, all the internals have been replaced:
M.B: ASUS M4A78.
CPU: Phenom IIx2 Black
RAM: 4Gb
PSU: OCZ 500w Xtreme-Pro
HDD: Samsung 1Tb
HDD: Seagate 1Tb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

many thanks

gengiscant 11:37 22 Mar 2011

I think that 3.52 refers to the width for example a desktop harddrive is 3.5" as opposed to 2.5" which normally is the size of a laptop harddrive.

You may need something like this click here
Could you provide a link to your card reader?

Furkin 11:54 22 Mar 2011

Hi GC:,
Initially I assumed that the 3.5" meant the width of the unit, but when the new one didn't fit, I measured the width of the 'slot', & it's 4".
I have two slots, one held the Standard sized floppy drive and one held the card reader.

I'll tave a picture of the existing one - how do I upload to PCA ?

There is at least one 'jumper' on it,,,,, I was rather hoping (LOL) that it/they might turn it into a writer !?

The bracket looks almost there,,,, but a 3.5" unit is 4" wide - to fit the slots - and there is no room for the thickness of the bracket side rails.
My existing reader is in a similar bracket.

F

Strawballs 12:03 22 Mar 2011

Most of those reader/writers I have come across fit in a floppy sized bay.

gengiscant 12:34 22 Mar 2011

To post a picture use this site click here after you have uploaded your image copy from the box marked'IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards' the paste it here.

lotvic 12:47 22 Mar 2011

I do not understand why the existing card reader does not allow you to also write to the cards you insert. Are there such items as READER ONLY units?
- this is further to my post on your closed thread click here

lotvic 12:50 22 Mar 2011

I have found it better to use the 'direct link' code when pasting link to pictures.

Furkin 14:23 22 Mar 2011

SB:
Yep - width-wise (4") is fine. Tis the depth that is too short for my standard case.

LV:
I really don't know. As in my other post, I'm finding that most units out there are (or certainly 'were') readers only. Even when looking at the 3.5" units, I have double checked with the sellers, and lots of 'em are still Readers Only.

GC:
Thanks. Try these:
[IMG]click here[/IMG]
[IMG]click here[/IMG]
[IMG]click here[/IMG]
[IMG]click here[/IMG]
[IMG]click here[/IMG]
[IMG]click here[/IMG]
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

F

Furkin 13:04 25 Mar 2011

Did the images help anyone to help me ?

thanks for looking.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 25 Mar 2011

It fits a 3.5 inch drive bay exactly where an old style floppy drive would fit. in your case underneath the floppy drive.

the screw holes in the side line up with the slots in the drive bay.

Furkin 13:58 26 Mar 2011

Hi FB:
The pictures are my existing Reader.
I thought that gengis wanted to see what I was trying to replace.

As in the o.p, its about 5" deep (front to back). The 3.5" reader/WRITERS are - as the size says - 3.5" deep (front to back) - so don't reach my fixing clip.

(The floppy drive slot/bays are 4" wide.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?