Internal hard drive- which make?

trv4n 23:02 17 Nov 2009

Hello I am wanting to buy a 500gb hard drive to back up my 320gb which is nearly full.Sata 3.5 inch.
Is there a differnce between manufacturers? For example: I would not buy an unbranded tv but i may consider a Sony if the price was reasonable.
Which make do I go for and where is the best place that you have bought from?
Thank you.

johndrew 10:11 18 Nov 2009

There are many reputable makes of HDDs and many good sources. Even the unbranded are often perfectly good and made by well known names.

If you are happy with your existing HDD why note identify the manufacturer (Device Manager or Everest Home or similar) and Google for a 500GB version of that? You should get plenty of hits from names you know from this site, adverts, etc.

What one person thinks is a good manufacturer and source may be a nightmare for another.

cream. 11:01 18 Nov 2009

under £50 will be fine. click here

trv4n 21:28 18 Nov 2009

thank you for your help :)

FatboySlim71 22:40 18 Nov 2009

I have a Samsung 500 GB hard drive in my PC. I also have the 1TB version of it in an external caddie. I find them reliable and quiet.

To be honest though, if you go with either Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate, then there really shouldn't be much in them.

Muergo 12:45 19 Nov 2009

I bought a Western D internal drive from SCAN and for £1 extra you get insurance against Bu....ing it up when you install it yourself, such as bending pins etc.

northumbria61 14:05 19 Nov 2009

Excellent buy right now from Overclockers BUT you will have to be quick - this week only ! (640MB 32MB cache 5yrs Warranty - and only £1 more than the WD 500GB)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?