internal hard drive question

wky 19:44 19 May 2007

Hi, I was wondering if I were to use an internal hard drive but just lay it on a hard surface, would this affect the performance of the drive? Or is it better to get a hard drive enclosure? I want to know specifically if it will hard the drive. Thanks.

missingit 19:52 19 May 2007

An enclosure would afford the hdd protection of course,but not having one should not affect performance I wouldn't have thought.

Though more knowledgeable folk might know different.

Totally-braindead 19:57 19 May 2007

You could run it on the desk but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than short periods. Its open for one thing, you could touch it and static could effect it and of course with the spinning disk the vibration would just feed back into it unless you put it on some sort of absorbing surface.
So as far as I am concerned it will eventually effect the drive and you're better either fitting it internally as a second hard drive or buying an enclosure. More to protect it than anything else.

woodchip 20:48 19 May 2007

No I have done it lots of times, as long as you are not moving the computer up and down it can be layed in the bottom of comp on a bit of card to stop it shorting out

poohtigger1964 20:49 10 Aug 2007

I have a dell pc thats about 8 years old, with 20gb hard drive. I want to install a bigger drive how easy is it? I back up everything but would I lose anything?
Thank you
Paul

Diemmess 21:01 10 Aug 2007

No harm unless you knock or shake the drive while it is running.
If there is violent disturbance, you could cause one of the heads to touch the surface and maybe wreck the drive

I have several times left a HD dangling by its leads when I only wanted a brief moment to transfer data from or to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
poohtigger1964
If you want a reply to your query, you should start your own thread.
Click on "Start new subject" at the top of this page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?