internal card reader problem

hsx285 01:02 15 Nov 2007

I’ve just installed some new RAM on my PC and to do so had to disconnect the internal card reader (an XPro model) from the USB headers on the motherboard. Since re-connecting onto the pins (fiddly anyhow) the card reader fails to work with any cards inserted, though the green light (with a little sun next to it) on the front of the card reader is lit (implying power I guess), and sometimes a little yellow light below lights up (with a hard disk icon next to it). I’ve ckecked the motherboard manual to ensure I've connected it to the right pins, as well as re-connecting the sleeves onto the pins, but all to not avail. The reader used to occasionally disconnect and re-connect in Windows anyhow, but on the whole was quite reliable, though I'm not sure if this is of any relevance? I've looked in windows device manager to see if there are any problems with the USB controller or devices, but everything seems ok (though it's not possible to identify which is which anyhow). I'm running XP Pro incidentally. Any advice most welcome.

DieSse 01:19 15 Nov 2007

The best advice I can think of is to recheck thwe connections - as clearly the most likely thing is that you've got them wrong somehow. Getting the data+ and data- pins crossed over would be my best guess.

"....as well as re-connecting the sleeves onto the pins,...."

I'm not sure what you are saying here, I can't see how you need to do anything more than just put the connections back on the right pins - yet you specifically also mention sleeves - ????

It's also possible that you've damaged one of the pins - pulled the wire loose for instance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017