Intermittent wireless with Vista

lenc 18:38 01 Jul 2007

My wireless network, BT Voyager 2110 modem/router with 1040 PCI cards, has worked fine with XP and W98. The 98 machine has just been replaced with a new Vista (Home Premium) machine. The PCI wireless card installed fine with the Vista Broadcomm driver. Vista requires that the SSID is visible in order to find and connect to a wireless network. (Done that.) However, in general, the wireless connection only lasts for a few minutes. Occasionally, the connection might last for 1/2 an hour but then only for a minute or two (again). Throughout this, the XP machine remains without problems or difficulty. Is this familar to anyone? Any suggestions as to a cause or a cure? Would a different card, or USB wireless card, make a difference?
Grateful for any ideas,
Len

Forum Editor 19:45 01 Jul 2007

of a hardware or driver incompatibility, or both. The problem is that I can't be sure, and neither can you, until and unless you try another wireless adapter - one that's guaranteed to work with Vista.

Network adapters are pretty simple devices, and usually they work well, but occasionally there's a driver issue with wireless adapters.

That's about all I can say, really. I know it's not much help, but I can't see an alternative - try another adapter, preferably a PCI one.

mgmcc 20:29 01 Jul 2007

I'm sure the Forum Editor is right, but it wouldn't do any harm to try setting a different Channel number in the router's wireless settings to see if that helps with the problem.

lenc 19:14 02 Jul 2007

Of all the spare bits I've got, a PCI wireless card is not among them. I had considered trying a USB card, the Vista PC is only 8-10 meters away from the router. We also tried changing channels and only a few alternatives work. The router supplier has suggested restoring the factory settings and starting agin, which sounds more hopeful than likely. For now we're using a cable to the Vista machine (whilst waiting for a driver upgrade to the card) which somewhat defeats the purpose of wireless!
Thanks anyway,
Len

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?