Intermittent Slowdown

scallydave 21:30 09 Sep 2010

I have a problem when gaming that my PC runs fine for a minite or two, then massively slows down for a similar period of time. This cycles continuously & I get the impression that something is kicking-in in the background and causing the problem. I have recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 (32-bit) & 4Gb of RAM installed (3.5GB functional). I have a AMD 5670 HD graphics card, my processor is an Intel Pentium 4 3.2MHZ and I have a ASUS PSKPL/1600 Motherboard. Soundcard is a Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE. Antivirus is Norton 2010.
Changing the Graphics setting on games doesn't have any effect & Starcraft 2 & Bioshock 2 have become practically unplayable. The 'SpeedUpMyPC2010' utillity doesn't help, not does 'TuneUp Utilities'. Everything was fine until recently, and spending money on the graphics card, Windows 7 & the soundcard has done practically nothing to help.

Many Thanks - Dave
I will be eternally grateful for any advice.

MAT ALAN 21:34 09 Sep 2010

could be an auto update function, screensavers are known to do this, could be an auto scan from one of your progs.
turning off all non essential services will give your games a chance to play better...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone