intermittent problem connecting to internet.

standard8 18:09 18 Mar 2010

My laptop is an Acer 5738Z with Windows 7 Home Premium and connects to the Internet wirelessly via a Bt Home Hub 2.0.Every now and again when I am booting up my laptop,it will not connect to the Internet.I right click on network icon and click troubleshoot problems.I get the message "This computer is continuously switching between two or more wireless routers or access points".I have tried the Microsoft support which tells me to go into Manage Wireless Networks and clear the "connect to a more preferred network if available" chck box to turn off automatic switching but this check box is already cleared.I went into BT Home Hub and channel selection is set to Automatic.It only happens intermittently and Internet eventually comes on after about 5 minutes.Can anyone help me to solve this irritating problem?Forgot to say,I don't get this problem with my wife's laptop which runs Windows Vista.

mgmcc 20:26 18 Mar 2010

Go into "Manage Wireless Networks" and, if there is more than just your own BT Home Hub, delete any other networks.

standard8 13:55 19 Mar 2010

Thanks.I will try that and let you know how it goes.

standard8 18:31 19 Mar 2010

Went into "Manage Wireless Networks".Nothing else showing in it except my BT Home Hub.Still getting problem intermittently.

User-1229748 13:02 20 Mar 2010

go back to manage wireless networks and right click your network and select properties and untick connect to a more preferred network if availiable

standard8 14:24 20 Mar 2010

Thanks for your reply.The "connect to a more preferred network if available" is already unticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?