Intermittent internet problems for past 3 weeks, tried everything

BlueMcMahon 13:02 24 Jan 2015

About three weeks ago, our internet started to drop intermittently. Nothing had changed within the house. I was constantly rebooting the router to get it running again. Following advice, we tried a different router, that helped for about a day then started doing exactly the same. Our ISP provided us with a new router a week ago but the problem remains. We have changed our filters and internet cable. Have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, nothing has changed. Problem is the same with an Ethernet connection and wireless. Please help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:32 24 Jan 2015

Perhaps you need to get your ISP to check the line.

BlueMcMahon 14:35 24 Jan 2015

Hi Fruit Bat, my ISP have checked the line and say nothing is wrong

caccy 16:34 24 Jan 2015

There is a special number to dial for a "silent" line that the telephone technocians use this is web site gives a list of them. click here just listening to your phone for about 2-3 minutes. You are listening for "silence", if you can hear any crackles,clicks or scratching noises then there is something wrong with your line. It took me 6 months to finaly get mine fixed.

Try

BlueMcMahon 16:13 25 Jan 2015

Thanks Caccy, tried the number but it just informed me what my line number was defined as, did not give me an option for doing a line test. Appreciate your help though, will try anything!

caccy 16:16 25 Jan 2015

Reading my post it is not at all clear. I'll try again!!

You need to check that you have a "quiet" line. This must be done at the Master Socket. There is a special number to dial for a "quiet" line that the BT telephone technicians use. This web site gives a list of them. click here Just listen to your phone for about 2-3 minutes. You are listening for "silence", if you can hear any crackles,clicks or scratching noises then there is something wrong with your line so go back to your telephone provider and tell them the line is "noisy". It took me 6 months to finaly get mine fixed.

caccy 16:20 25 Jan 2015

Thanks for reply. Disregard my last post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?