Intermittent internet disconnections

Dougie168 01:49 24 Mar 2007

Hiya,
There's a problem with my braodband, and I can't seem to get my head around this problem.
A few days ago, the internet on my laptop kept disconnecting from the Internet every 15 minutes or so. I would go downstairs to the router, unplug its power, then plug it back in again and the internet would be fine for another 15 minutes. Then the cycle would start again. Later I found that my laptop would re-connect itself after about, say 5 minutes - or, if I choose to "repair" the connection manually via the "Support" tab in the wireless connections window. I found this was happening also to my other desktop computer.
I ran checks on everything, from hardware connection to software tests, but I can't seem to find the root of the problem - is it the router, ISP or my computers?
Then yesterday, my friend helped put Linux on my laptop - did not change anything - and it later miraculously worked - I was not cut off from the Internet at all. However the desktop was still experiencing the same problem.
So does this mean that the problem lies with the computer itself, since no other settings were changed involving the router and ISP?
I would love to hear any suggestions with regards to going about this problem, any at all. Thanks in advance.

[email protected] 14:26 24 Mar 2007

I had a similar problem recently (minus the Linux bit) which escalated until I couldn't get any internet connection at all. I took my router (netgear DG384GT) off the system and checked it around my dad's house and it wouldn't connect on his system. I bought a new router (BT) one and have only had one disconnection since (10 days now and it's been on all day).
If you can isolate the router and check it I would !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires