Intermittent crashing

wrg 14:20 05 Oct 2007

I have a game that I play on my laptop, it is FM2007. I am using Vista home basic. The problem I have started having is that it will suddenly crash & I have to switch the laptop off with the on/off button & when it reboots I get the option to start up in safe mode. Not sure why it has suddenly started happening, the only things that I have done recently were to install Kasperspy Internet Security Suite & I had to reload the game. Even though the game was made before Vista it can still run when I load it as administrator. When I play it I exit Kasperspy. My main query is will I damage the hard disk as a result of having to keep turning it off at the switch & does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening. I dont recall having this problem before loading Kasperspy, also did a reg clean but system became even more unstable so restored to a previous date.

Technotiger 14:41 05 Oct 2007

Hmm, two possibilities initially, either Kapersky could be giving you the problem, or possible overheating causing lappie to crash. Another hmm, make that three not two - could be a clash between game and Kapersly. Anyway, switching off/on should not harm your hard-drive, unless extensively repeated.

Technotiger 14:42 05 Oct 2007

Sorry 'bout my 'orrible spelling!

wrg 14:49 05 Oct 2007

On the rum already?
Thanks very much for your reply. If I exit Kasperspy by right clicking on the icon and then exit does this stop it running? Not so sure that the lappie is overheating it is only a few months old and the game is not resource intensive.

Technotiger 15:10 05 Oct 2007

Again - I don't use Kasperspy, but I guess depending on how you set it up, it may still be running in the background. I believe all of this type of program is meant to do that in order to give the protection.

So first, I would uninstall the Game (being the less important item), then see if the lappie runs without crashing. If it still crashes, uninstall Kaperswotsit then see if it still crashes!

wrg 15:35 05 Oct 2007

It only crashes when playing the game, no other time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?