Intermittant start-up problem

Dumble452 07:20 12 Jun 2007

Occasionally Windows XP fails to boot and my computer shuts down. There is an error message but it is on the screen for so short a period that it is impossible to read. Is there a log file within XP that I can access to find out what this message is trying to tell me? The computer generally starts ok at the 2nd or 3rd attempt and then behaves normally.

birdface 07:31 12 Jun 2007

There is a way to do it,But I forget how,No doubt someone will let you know shortly,In the meentime just check that there is no fluff or dust blocking your air vents at the back of the computer,

birdface 08:47 12 Jun 2007

How I think that you do it ,is,Right click my computer. Properties.Advanced, System Start up Settings.Untick automatically restart.Ok, Apply, Ok,That should allow you to view the error message.Now I have never done this before or advised anyone ,It may be better to wait untill someone can confirm.

birdface 09:38 14 Jun 2007

Hi, Looks like I missed something out,When you untick automatically restart, It looks as though you have to tick,Write an event to system log.click here just the same as last one on here.

Dumble452 16:14 15 Jun 2007

Thanks. I've found that. Now I'll just have to wait until it happens again. It is very occasional, but nevertheless annoying when it occurs.

ambra4 18:27 15 Jun 2007

all you have to do when error appear is hit the pause key on the keyboard click enter to restart

Right click my computer. Properties.Advanced click Performance and change to best performance this will help to make the computer run a lot faster forget bill crap setting

Dumble452 02:48 24 Jun 2007

I'll mark this as resolved since the problem seems to have gone away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?