Intermittant sound loss

StellaArtois63 22:26 11 Jan 2006

My Dad has an Acer Aspire 3000 and from time to time loses the sound. He reboots the PC and there is still no sound. He will start it up the next day and there is sound again.This problem is giving him the hump and with my limited computing skills I am at a loss.I suggested he rung Acer and they told him to go to the Acer website and download the AC97 driver. He went to the website and was unable to find it. I had a look to no avail on Acer's site. I did how ever find it on a Realtek site. I remember seeing Realtek on his PC but wasn't sure what it was. If he was to download the driver package and it wasn't the correct one what sort of damage could occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
I will remember to get him to create a restore point first.

cycoze 23:11 11 Jan 2006

click here for Drivers for Aspire 3000.

StellaArtois63 23:35 11 Jan 2006

Thanks for that cycoze. What a div I am. I saw that particular page a number of times and didn't notice the download on there.

PC Bilbo 23:35 11 Jan 2006

If it's not a sound driver problem, I wonder if it's a case of XP demanding more memory than is available under certain useage.

I note the basic 3000's come with 256MB RAM and on board chipset.

As an example I tried running a CD on a similar spec desktop with visualisations switched on and after a while the sound stopped and everything froze.I put in another 256MB RAM and it cured it.

I may be off beam but just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone