Intermitent Broadband

beauchampboiler 16:39 28 Oct 2008

My broadband connection, provided by waitrose.com (please don't laugh!) and connected through a BT Voyager 210 ADSL router (connected to the computer via ethernet) has recently become very unreliable. The connection can just disappear when I'm in the middle of a download or just surfing the net generally. The DSL light on the router usually stays on, but the internet light goes off and I can't get a connection again until I turn the router off, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on again. Sometimes, when I do this it fails to recognize DSL, meaning another restart of the router.

Will I have to talk to my ISP about this, or is it something I can sort out myself, and if so, how?

Any ideas?

T I M B O 15:18 29 Oct 2008

I used to be with Waitrose ,,, then i saw the light lol. I was on and off the internet like a yoyo, in the end i sacked them and went with BT, and never had a problem since....

Best of luck........

oldbeefer2 15:23 29 Oct 2008

You could make sure everything OK your end by plugging in to the main BT box (unless you are already!). If it's the same there, you need to info the ISP - even if the fault is the BT line, the request for investigation has to come from them and not you (unlike a line fault which affects the phone).

Rahere 15:31 29 Oct 2008

To be brutally honest most BT routers esp the cheaper one are dreadful pieces of kit. Often drop connections mid call or download. Heard of one BT helpline person saying that you have to expect it from these units due to static build up! He also suggested that if you don't use it in a 12 hour period it will lose the connection.

I thin BT took over the company that provides Waitrose ISP services - It seems bizarre that BT are still providing units that are not fit for purpose - you should tell them the unit's not right, they may upgrade it to a homehub which should be better, at least insiste they check the lines and hub remotely, if they don't then ask to escalate the problem...hope it works out

T I M B O 15:56 29 Oct 2008

I do have to say that the new BT Hubs seems to work very very well. The old Bt Voyagers 2110 were bad i must admit.

beauchampboiler 19:43 29 Oct 2008

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll get on to it.

RobCharles1981 19:49 29 Oct 2008

Have you considered getting a Mac Code from your ISP?

What does Samknows say you can get your exchange?

click here

Can you obtain your line stats??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017