Intermitant restart problem on boot

Giggle n' Bits 21:31 22 Aug 2006

having problem with a new rebuild machine using my AMD Athlon 64 6400,
x2 PC3200 DDR matched with Asus K8V-X SE
samsung Spinpoint 250GB SATA II but on 150 cap
Sony 1.4 3.5" FDD, Toshiba Samsung TS-H552 DVD Wtr & a Samsung DVD 16E SD-616
450Watt OEM PSU PFC
Asus 256MB FX5500 AGP x8 card
Internal Card Reader on M/board USB Header amd case Front USB 2.0 ports on another USB M/board header. Newest BIOS is installed, not upgraded it, its as supplied.

Promblem, say I restart the machine, on the restart the monitor will go to standby, and pc will pause boot. Machine is on but seems to pause as if the pause button on kboard has been pressed, power on motherboard ok and fans spinning fine.

The problem can be often or intermitant, a pain realy bugging me.

I Have disabled Legacy USB in BIOS to see if this makes a difference but nope. What does VLink x8 support do, is this something that should be enabled or dissabled.

Does the PSU have to be ATX 2.0 factor or not ? does anyone suggest it could be my AGP card ?

Totally stuck on what to test but I dont give in on this one.

HELP Please !

FelixTCat 23:14 22 Aug 2006

Shad Rack,

It is possible that your psu isn't producing enough power for the full load at start-up. Test it by disconnecting the power leads from the 2 DVD drives and reboot. If it starts without any trouble, then it is the psu.

Reconnect one at a time and see if the trouble recurs.

Regards,

Felix

Giggle n' Bits 23:30 22 Aug 2006

I have disconnected Front USB 2.0 hub, Card Reader, Changed the AGP Card down to a FX5200 low profile & pulled the DVD Wtr drive out.

Becase just after posting this I then got a Checksum error, F1 for set-up or F2 for defaults bla bla bla.

so I cleared the CMOS and re-tuned the necesarry items like Time, Boot options.

And windows what I cleaned installed wouldn't boot, just as I speak Formatted and installed clean again and its restart after loading the XP Home has done it again.

I will try your suggestion ref the Optical drives.

Can I ask the following:

1. Would reflashing the BIOS correct any bugs in the BIOS chip ?

2. Could a faulty or very loud spinning DVD Rom cause this problem

MemTest86 tested memory ok for a hour running, have changed AGP, pulled the DVD Wtr, tested HDD with Samsung tool but there doens't seem to be a advanced testing diagnostic option for this HDD.

So like you say PSU and pull the optics. I Will set boot to Samsung SATA now, then if that doesn't work disable and remove FDD then take the my Xilence ATX 2.0 480Watt from this machine so I will be away for a hour or two.

Thanx for you help FelixTCat, cos this has had me bugged for 4 days now.

Will hang on 20 mins to see if you answer about me re-flashing BIOS.

woodchip 23:34 22 Aug 2006

I think you need a bigger PSU about 650watts

woodchip 23:36 22 Aug 2006

Just for the fun of it, remove the Power plugs from both optical drivers to remove some load and see if it loads any better

FelixTCat 23:38 22 Aug 2006

Shad Rack,

Flashing the BIOS would correct any bugs, but be sure there are bugs first or the solution could be worse than the problem.

I have had booting problems because of a faulty psu - often it won't boot first time but an immediate reboot works. This is because it takes much more power to start things moving (hard disks, fans etc) than to keep them going - the first boot started them spinning but didn't have quite enough power to boot; the immediate reboot found everything still spinning so there was enough power to complete the boot.

Try disconnecting the DVDs first.

Regards,

Felix

Giggle n' Bits 23:45 22 Aug 2006

Come on Woodchip, why 650Watt I used the PSU Calculator from here click here and its well under 400Watt for this spec of sytem.

Going offline cos I may have to pull the PSU from this one.

I'll Be Back

Asta La Vista, Baby

woodchip 23:48 22 Aug 2006

400watts from a PSU that can supply 400watts not a £10 PSU

Giggle n' Bits 00:13 23 Aug 2006

The PSU is a 450watt not a 400watt.
Pulled the DVD Rom Drive first and getting a clean install of XP on again. Nearly done that.

Giggle n' Bits 00:59 23 Aug 2006

Then its the psu swap.

woodchip 13:35 23 Aug 2006

What I meant by 400 PSU was that some old 250....300watt PSU's out perform cheap nasty 450.....500watt PSU's Meaning do not scrimp on a cheap PSU watt’s is not hall the answer. Also look for one that is heave in your hand, this gives a indiction of better quality components. Steer clear of light weight ones

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?