Interference when ripping music CDs

John Ross 00:06 28 Oct 2007

I have just bought my first mp3 player : Samsung YP-u3, which seems to work fine.
the problem is with the ripping on the PC. I am using the supplied Samsung Media Studio, which seems to use Windows Media Player (I had 10 initially, but to try to solve the problem below I have loaded WMP 11 with default settings) and ?Lame codec : I don't know which codec build and searching the files doesn't give a clue. I am ripping to 192kb/sec mp3.
Everything is fine except for a random irritating crackle on some/most tracks, just like a scratch on an LP. Usually not present early on in the ripping process.
It seems to be much less if I do not use the PC for anything else at the same time, and if I rip to the hard disk initially than direct to the mp3 player?
Any suggestions as to what is causing this, and how to get rid of it? If no easy answer do you know how I get in touch with Samsung : no contact info provided in packaging.
thanks for any advice

try this instead
click here

bigtree22 00:37 28 Oct 2007

I use mp3 to ringtone gold to do that , it works pretty good , I download it at click here
You can try it now .

Acx 00:47 28 Oct 2007

This happened to me when ripping old CD's (clean them - polish and a duster).

brundle 00:55 28 Oct 2007

But Audiograbber's free of course.

On an earlier PC i had, interference was often present in the audio signal as the CD input was very close to the power line(s) for the graphics card fan connector (on the motherboard itself). The only solution was to switch off the internal audio and use a PCI card. If you are ripping in Digital format (my drive didn't support that) you might get a better result.

whattodo 06:00 28 Oct 2007

I had this problem when ripping cd's when I had other programmes running in the background. What worked for me was to enable DMA for the drive thus taking the strain off of the CPU, see article here: click here

John Ross 12:17 28 Oct 2007

Thanks everyone.
The only thing that works so far is leaving the PC completely alone whilst it is ripping : even then the odd crackle on the mp3 playback. I suspect either a problem with the codecs from Samsung, or an internal interference within the PC.
I am going to try a different PC in the house with Audiograbber as suggested. This seems easy to load, but to get a decent bitrate it is saying I need to load Lame codec.
The Lame codec seems to come in various forms : a lame-3.97.tar.gz file and a lame-3.97.zip, and lameACM-3,97.zip, and lame-3.98.zip beta. I will skip the beta unless you suggest otherwise. The tar.gz extracts to something very complicated that I do not understand. Should I be using the lame-3.98, and what do I do with it?
Sorry for being a bit thick.

John Ross 12:18 28 Oct 2007

Thanks everyone.
The only thing that works so far is leaving the PC completely alone whilst it is ripping : even then the odd crackle on the mp3 playback. I suspect either a problem with the codecs from Samsung, or an internal interference within the PC.
I am going to try a different PC in the house with Audiograbber as suggested. This seems easy to load, but to get a decent bitrate it is saying I need to load Lame codec.
The Lame codec seems to come in various forms : a lame-3.97.tar.gz file and a lame-3.97.zip, and lameACM-3,97.zip, and lame-3.98.zip beta. I will skip the beta unless you suggest otherwise. The tar.gz extracts to something very complicated that I do not understand. Should I be using the lame-3.98, and what do I do with it?
Sorry for being a bit thick.

brundle 12:41 28 Oct 2007

You're using the right one. Rip to WAV first and see if there is interference. LAME will encode whatever's there.

John Ross 12:45 28 Oct 2007

Dear Brundle
thanks.
Do you mean lame-3.97.zip is the right file, or a different one and what do I do with it / where do I put it when unzipped?
sorry but I need it spelling out in simple terms as the brain has jammed.

John Ross 20:15 28 Oct 2007

I have now loaded up autograbber on the other computer. Can'r claim I am getting it to work, but as a tip it says words to this effect "if youare getting pops and crackling on your recording this is because your CPU is too busy, do not use any other program whilst ripping".
so that seems to be the answer. In Autograbber there is a little display that lets you know if the CPU is getting overworked.

thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?