Intereference from Neigbours router

prince midas 16:19 18 Jan 2010

I am finding that when I connect to the internet these days I keep picking up a signal from a neighbour who as not secured their PC.

They tell me that an engineer came along and altered the name from the name of the router to just plain wireless.
But I pick up the new name they gave me which is secured but I still pick up the name of the old router which is unsecured. My question is could it be their router or do I look for another neighbour with a similar named router which could mean knocking at everyones door.

Technotiger 16:39 18 Jan 2010

It could be another neighbour - I can 'see' at least four others in my vicinity, but I am not bothered as my set-up is secure.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 18 Jan 2010

Is it really your problem?

I know you mean well but....
Be very careful about knocking on peoples doors and telling them what to do, unless you know them well, they may not take kindly to your "interference".

OTT_B 16:42 18 Jan 2010

I'd be inclined to set your router as the default connection (i.e. connect automatically when in range, make sure this option isn't set for any other network). That should solve your problem, unless i've missed something?

User-1229748 16:46 18 Jan 2010

i can see 10 networks at the moment including my own.3 are unsecured.

Sea Urchin 16:53 18 Jan 2010

As has been said "don't worry about it" - the important thing is that you make sure your network is secure.

prince midas 17:55 18 Jan 2010

I will not say anything to my neighbours,but what is so annoying is their signal is nearly as strong as mine and being unsecured my PC tends to pick up their signal very often instead of mine and I am constantly resetting it.I would prefer to connect to my network and no one elses.I cannot understand why it does not go for mine being stronger.

Miké 18:13 18 Jan 2010

OTT_B has the solution in the post above.

woodchip 18:23 18 Jan 2010

Tell us why you are using yours Unsecured

ICF 19:32 18 Jan 2010

Just change your routers channel

Grey Goo 22:26 18 Jan 2010

This will display all networks beaming through your house with channel numbers. If you can you can set yours 5 away from the nearest if it's possible.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?