Intel Pearl Creek mother board

Peterkins777 12:44 16 Sep 2008

Hi everyone, I have a fairly new computer which has a pearl Creek mother board with on board graphics. I would like to install a video card, perhaps a NiVidia 8600gt, but when I opened the computer I saw how small the board is and I am not sure if there is enough room for a video card as it looks as if the memory cards may get in the way, I must admit I haven't seen a video card in the flesh! but they all look so big on the Pc. Can anyone advise please. Peter

DieSse 15:15 16 Sep 2008

Is it this one?

click here noter this is a pdf download - there's a nice layout on page 3 for comparison - or post the exact model number.

It does have a PCIe-16 slot for a grahics card.

Questions you need to answer are:-

Is this a low profile case needing a low profile board?

Is the power supply capable of handling the card you want?

Peterkins777 16:48 16 Sep 2008

Hi, Thanks for the fast response.Yes that is the model DG31PR. My case is very large, no problem there. I have a 450wt power supply and I know the mother board has a PCI-e slot however if you look at the picture,there is very little room between the end of the PCI-e slot and the end of the memory sticks. This is a micro ATX board according to Intel. I have e-mailed them with this question but got no reply! Peter

I am Spartacus 19:51 16 Sep 2008

Although I have a bigger motherboard the clearances between the RAM slots and the PCI-E slot are about the same as on yours and I've got a Radeon 4870 in and there's just enough room to fit a RAM cooler that clips to the top and bottom of the RAM slots. All the gubbins on a GFX tends to be on the other side facing downwards.

I am Spartacus 19:56 16 Sep 2008

Picture of mine click here to give you the idea.

Peterkins777 06:52 17 Sep 2008

Hi, Many thanks for the replies, I suppose I shall just have to give it a go. Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?