Intel P4 vs AMD Athlon/Sempron

Sparkly 17:12 10 Mar 2006

Hi people having just gone through my first pc build (Pentium 4 cpu)with everything working out well, can anyone tell me whitch is the better road to go down on an upgrade to my older pc, to either stick with the intel or try the amd and whitch is the better performer of the two? Many people i have spoken to swear by the amd and the same from others about the intel, allso i have noticed there seem to be more of the AMD on ebay?????

remind 17:14 10 Mar 2006

P4 is usually slightly better for video editing or intense number crunching, AMD 64 matches or betters P4 in other areas for less cost, Sempron is a better budget chip than the equivalent Celeron.

remind 17:15 10 Mar 2006

Correction; Video editing/encoding - which I suppose comes under the `intense number crunching` description

Totally-braindead 19:04 10 Mar 2006

I'm not into intensive video editing but I am into just about anything else especially gaming. To me personally theres no real difference between Intel and AMD apart from one thing. Cost. AMD are cheaper than Intel and since you get the same performance they are better value. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ it cost £130 the equivalent Intel is is well over £200. By buying AMD I saved myself about £80 and used the money to get an external hard drive.
Theres nothing wrong with Intel but for value for money AMD beats them hands down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?