Is the Intel Core i3 worth £100 more than Pentium?

lucy86 22:20 20 Mar 2017

Hi, I am tearing my hair out over which laptop to buy!

I have found a model I like the look of, but I can either pay £350 for it with an Intel Pentium 4415U processor, or pay £450 for it with an Intel Core i3-6100U/i37100U.

Everyone tells me not to buy a Pentium processor, but when I compare the specs on the Intel website, the only difference I can find is 2mb cache vs 3mb cache on the i3.

Can anyone tell me if the i3 is worth me spending £100 more? The laptop will be 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD and will be for general use - mainly writing university assignments etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

rdave13 23:28 20 Mar 2017

Have a look at cpuboss comparison.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?