Intel Core 2 Duo vs Intel Pentium D 945 Dual Core

Borofan1986 16:02 19 Sep 2006

Hi,

I am looking to get a new computer - I can upgrade the processor for an extra £15 from an 'Intel Pentium D 945 Dual Core 3.4Ghz' to an 'Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz'.

As the new Core Duo is relatively recent to the market, I am not fully in the know regarding this processor.

Do you think that it is worth an extra £15 for the upgrade or not?

Thanks in advance

ade.h 16:08 19 Sep 2006

No contest. All you need to know is: spend the £15.

sean-278262 16:10 19 Sep 2006

A quick point to think about is that intel are releasing their quad core chips next month or so I read so the duo cores will drop in price accordingly so it may be worth holding off for what is only a couple of weeks. You might find you get a lot more PC for your money.

Borofan1986 16:20 19 Sep 2006

Thanks ade.h and Creature of the Nite - both are well received.

ade.h - I am pleased to have had such a definitive response - makes my choice between the stated two so much easier.

Creature of the Nite - There is definitely food for thought there, the problem I face is that my current laptop is packing up and has required 4 formats in the last 2-3 months; making it incredibly unreliable, not to mention sluggish.

Thank you both again.

Thoughts are greatly received.

sean-278262 16:30 19 Sep 2006

Out of pure interest you dont happen to be a regular at Teesside uni do you?

However if the laptop is on its last legs then certainly my point is useless. You cant not have a PC. Im with Ade.h if it is as bad as that.

Borofan1986 16:34 19 Sep 2006

Thanks Creature - it seems that the Core 2 Duo is rated highly and yes it owuld be difficult without a PC.

Incidentally I don't go to Teesside Uni, though I do live on Teesside and am going to Durham University next month - hence the need for a new PC.

sean-278262 16:37 19 Sep 2006

Ahh where abouts in teesside do you hail? Teesside happens to be my campus so was just wondering if by chance I was helping a fellow student.

Best of luck and do post back regarding the system you decide to get as I do enjoy reading people experience which comes from purchased aided by those on this forum.

Best of luck with the purchase and enjoy uni.

Borofan1986 16:42 19 Sep 2006

I currently reside in Ingleby Barwick, though used to live on the outskirts of Middlesbrough.

Incidentally Teesside was my insurance choice of uni, though luckily I managed to get into Durham.

A new computer is a must, especially the state this thing is in. Still, thanks for all the advice and I will post back regarding the system.

Many Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?