Intel Core 2 Du, Intel Duel Core - Digfference?

AngeTheHippy 10:09 28 Dec 2008

Morning Chaps,
I'm more-or-less ready (within a few days/weeks)to purchase a new Lappy. The one I'll probably get is the Toshiba L350-170 which has INTEL DUO CORE T3200 processor - BUT the Sony VGN-AR71E has an INTEL CORE 2 DUO T5450 processor. So...what's the difference (if any) between these 2 please? and should I be concerned about it?? In addition, the Dell Studio 1735 also has an INTEL CORE 2 DUO (T9300) although far more expensive - almost double in fact!!

So - what do I do about this please? I don't game with the Lappy, but is IS powered up when I wake until bed-time.

Ta muchley,

AngeTheHippy
xx

AngeTheHippy 10:10 28 Dec 2008

Only drunk Coffee this morning ... honest!!

howard64 10:15 28 Dec 2008

check the intel site for specs for the cpu. With dual and quad core cpus it is important to note what speed the idividual cores run at. With a single core cpu the speed of operation is split between the op system and what you ask it to do. Until all software is written to take advantage of dual and quad cores one core does more or less the same as a single core cpu. It is only when you have 2 or more distinct progs running that the second or extra cores really work. My first core 2 duo build ran much slower than my previous single core because it ran at 3.7 Ghz but the core 2 duo was a 4 GHz with each core running at 2 GHz and it was noticably slower than the single core pc running a single prog.

brundle 10:27 28 Dec 2008

The Core 2 Duo is more powerful, Duo Core is the previous version. Simplistically, within a given processor family the higher the processor number the more powerful the chip. If the price difference is minimal go for the better one, but bear in mind that only having 1GB of memory with Vista (rather than 2 or more) will have more effect on usability than the difference between those two processors.

AngeTheHippy 10:27 28 Dec 2008

I'm a simple person (not THAT simple hahaha)with simple needs (Lappy wise...)and the Lappy I'm using is about 6 years old now - lowish spec, and although I re-installed XP a few weeks back, it **should** have been lightening fast in the before-software is installed state. It wasn't, it grinds to respond which I think means it's **ackered. It's done loads of mileage, and I accept they don't last, well sometimes not even this long!!

Our braodband isn't that broad in rural Lincolnshire...512mb connection, so THAT won't change even with top-of-the-range spec.

Ange
x

AngeTheHippy 10:39 28 Dec 2008

Yep, I understand that the higher the number the more powerful the chip. I was concerned though, that Duo Core T3200 was similar to the Celeron or the AMD Duron chip - inferior quality??

X

brundle 10:45 28 Dec 2008

Not that I am aware of, I've used Toshibas with both varieties of chip and found them pretty speedy.

AngeTheHippy 10:51 28 Dec 2008

I'd sort of earmarked that model a month or 2 back after loads of trawling through various manufacturers/models, but nice to hear from someone that has experience of Toshibas - I don't know anyone who has/had them.

X

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?