Intel 82810E - how to improve colour quality?

The Potter 20:59 28 Sep 2007

My colour quality won't go any higher than 24bit but surely the standard is true colour (or something like that). I downloaded the driver from intel but it reported I had a more up to date driver installed already!

It's only begun to annoy sme ince I increased the resolution and then decreased it again.

I'm running XP pro.

ambra4 22:32 28 Sep 2007

Colour Depth

Many games give the option to run in either 16-bit or 32-bit colour depth.

This refers to the amount of video memory that is required for each screen pixel. 32-bit colour depth gives a larger range of colours to use, resulting in higher quality rendering.

Due to the increased video memory bandwidth that is needed, 32-bit colour will reduce the frame rate for the game.

With some games, this can result in choppier performance.

* Intel® 82810E and 82815 graphics controllers support up to 16-bit colour textures

woodchip 22:36 28 Sep 2007

24 bit is True Colour, But if your card supports it, it can go to 32 bit

DieSse 23:41 28 Sep 2007

24 bits is not only true colour, but is the best you can get.

When 32 bits is selected, the other 8 bits are not used for extra colours, but for an alpha channel (transparency) or computational ease. click here

24bit colour (16,777,216 colours) is commonly held to be the maximum number of shades that eyes can distinguish between. So really, for practical purposes, there is no such thing as "better than 24bit colour" for displays.

The Potter 16:01 29 Sep 2007

Thank you - that's comforting; think my brain must have blipped for me to think it could be better!

The Potter 16:01 29 Sep 2007

Thank you - that's comforting; think my brain must have blipped for me to think it could be better!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?