Intel 550 or AMD FX 53?

contactjas 21:22 28 Aug 2004

(Thanks CW for advising me to post here!)...

I am intending to buy one of two computer systems I have seen within the next few

days. I need some help. Firstly, I’m not so concerned with which processor is better. I’m sure the AMD will out-perform the Intel. What I am concerned about is future proofing myself as regards to the system as a whole.

Here are the benefits of the Intel 550 system:
PCI-Express motherboard with an ATI X800 XT video card (PCI-E slot).

AMD FX 53 system:
64-bit (also with a similar video card from nVidia - AGP)

I want the best of both worlds but of course i cant since the Intel isn’t 64-bit,

and the AMD system doesn’t have the PCI-e architecture.

I have a few questions which may help me make up my mind, and would be grateful if you could help.

1. When Intel release their 64-bit processor, will it use socket 775? (This way I can easily upgrade the Intel 550 processor with the 64-bit one, and keep the existing motherboard)

2. Are there any motherboards that use the PCI-E architecture for the AMD FX 53

processor? If not, is there likely to ever be any such motherboard for the AMD?

Thank you in advance.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:28 28 Aug 2004

What are you going to use the computer for? If only for some gaming and office work the processor will make no difference.

G

contactjas 21:33 28 Aug 2004

Gaming and office work, but i wanted to make sure I get the best computer to cater for my future needs also, i.e Windows 64-bit, maybe even longhorn, since I intend to spend £1800 i want to keep the system longterm.

Cheers.

goonerbill © ® 00:58 29 Aug 2004

the architecture of the fx53 is so that it assists the graphics card in games as all the fx** athlons are.

haven't seen any athlon boards just yet with pci-x but they are on the way ( believe one is due for release by one of the mobo makers in a week or 2).

dont know much about intels latest range of CPU's ( haven't used intel since pentium 2 days ) but with PCI-X the graphics card is twice as fast as AGP 8x. also believe that when a 64 bit CPU is released by intel it will be a different pin arrangement again but it would be best to look at intels site for more info.

i would choose the athlon but i always would, not just the speed but the price. top end pentiums are roughly 20+% dearer than athlons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?