Intalling Media card reader into Dell 5150

Just tried to install an internal 3.5" card reader into my Dell 5150.

Motherboard manual says I have a Media Card reader connector and on inspection it has pins in this configuration

... .

But the card reader I'm trying to install (an enlight Multi Card reader) would appear to fit a configuration that looks like this

As well as that the connector for the reader seems to be a wee bit bigger than the one on the motherboard.

Am I going mad??

Thanks for any advice.

Totally-braindead 20:30 24 May 2007

The pins are probably set up for whatever Dell uses as a reader, the only thing you can do is split the pins in the reader and connect each one individually to the board, you will have to check the Dell website or your manual for the PC to see which pin is which and the same with the card reader and match them up pin by pin.

You're not going mad it just appears that the reader you have is using a different plug, they are not all the same.

If this is too much hassle or its not the sort of thing you can manage then either get a Dell one or one that connects via USB and just feeds the USB wire through the PC out the back and into one of the USB ports. Theres some here click here

Is there any kind of adapter that would convert the reader I've got to a normal usb connector?

Right then - I've dismantled the "plug" & now trying to figure out where each pin goes.

The manual doesnt seem to go into that much detail.

Feel I'm getting closer :-)

click here

Might need a nudge to get even closer though!

Right then...

I've contacted Dell for advice about the configuration of the connector & they were, of course, no help at all - just told me to buy a Dell branded reader.

Brick wall time or anyone got any ideas :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?