Insuring a notebook against theft outside the home

  healthcare 18:27 08 Mar 2003

I'm considering buying a notebook but I am concerned about the risk of theft outside of the home. I,ve been offered an accidental cover by one company but I am unable to find a policy that would cover theft. Do such policys exist?

  Pauper 18:37 08 Mar 2003

Check with your home contents insurance company, they may well have an option for 'away from home cover' as mine does (Abbey Nat).

  Djohn 19:32 08 Mar 2003

As Pauper says, Most Household policy's will give cover for Laptops, and other Items while out and away from home. Only conditions that apply usually, are that all reasonable precautions must be taken to keep safe. IE: Don't leave inside a car on show, etc.

  Stuartli 21:20 08 Mar 2003

My Prudential buildings and house contents insurance not only covers the family's possessions etc lost or damaged away from home, but also my desktop system and associated accessories and peripherals.

  Ticketyboo 21:39 08 Mar 2003

Make sure that you read the small print on the policy, l have been told by a broker that the only way you can insure a lap or note is through a business policy.

  spuds 23:32 08 Mar 2003

As Ticketyboo states-check the small print, especially on home insurance policies.Some 'possessions'are only covered for about £300 away from the house.But you can increase this cover, by having it named in your policy agreement, for an additional payment.Should you lose your notebook, and make a claim, you will find that making a claim will be investigated very thourough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?