Installing Xp service pack3 - Backup

Mr. Chips 07:41 22 Sep 2008

Hi there.
Microsoft have issued me with Windows XP service pack 3, but when agreeing to have it installed, it advises me to 'back up' my system.
What does this actually Mean please?
I suppose I am really asking someone to point me to a list of actions that I should take to fulfill this instruction.

Any ideas please?

Technotiger 07:59 22 Sep 2008

All it means is for you to make a new Restore Point.

Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and then follow on screen prompts to make a new Restore Point.

mgmcc 08:01 22 Sep 2008

What it is suggesting is that you have a backup copy in separate media (CD, DVD, external hard drive etc.) of all your important data, such as documents, videos, pictures, music, emails and so on. Then, if the upgrade to SP3 goes wrong and, in the worst case, you need to reinstall the operating system, you don't lose all of your files too.

Technotiger 08:05 22 Sep 2008

Hi, I don't like to contradict another member, but the back-up requested is as I explained above.

Mr. Chips 08:08 22 Sep 2008

Thanks Technotiger. ... I will do as you suggest.

mgmcc ... may I assume that as I have all my system and application files on hard disk(C:), and all my data files on a seperate hard disk (E:), that I am pretty well covered?

Mr. Chips 08:09 22 Sep 2008

Ooops, I 'sent' at the same time as Technotiger.

Technotiger 08:14 22 Sep 2008

You are indeed well covered. mgmcc was describing a full hard-drive backup, but the operative word in the request was *system* ......

Mr. Chips 08:28 22 Sep 2008

Thank you gentlemen, for your time and assistance.

regards

Technotiger 08:42 22 Sep 2008

You are welcome - BTW, your Ooops was not necessary, it is quite normal to address more than one member at the same time in one post, just as you did there. LoL ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?