Installing XP Pro

Dekka123 16:39 10 Aug 2005

I have discovered I have an illegal copy of XP Pro. I want to go and buy a new copy. In order to install it would I have to format my C Drive or can I install it over my present one. How do I stand with SP2 which I have installed at present. If I do have to format and do a clean install could someone please advise me of some preperation which wwould help me. Thank you in advance.

Stuartli 16:43 10 Aug 2005

How have you "discovered" you have an illegal copy?

Microsoft had an amnesty not too long ago (details probably still on its website) and would allow you, on payment of a smaller price than buying new, to gain legal status.

Dekka123 17:56 10 Aug 2005

Thanks Stuartli fo your quick response. I found out by trying to download Photo Story and failed the validation test. I didnt see any option to rectify the situation. I would certainly love to be able to legalise it. \any idea where it is? Thanks again

Stuartli 18:09 10 Aug 2005

See the last item on this page for a start:

click here

Also:

click here

click here

click here

Plus:

click here

Strawballs 21:23 10 Aug 2005

If you do decide to buy another copy all you need to do is go into bios and change the boot order to cd rom first then put in your new copy and reboot then follw instructions. You can get an OEM version of XP Home for £67.05 or PRO for £104.23 from click here

Dekka123 07:18 11 Aug 2005

Thanks very much for your advice Strawballs. Sorry to be a nuisance but I do have SP2 installed so would that cause any problems with the installation. Finally would the OEM disc pass the Microsoft validation test. Sorry if thats a daft question but I dont really understand OEM.
Thanks in anticipation of a speedy reply then hopefully get this sorted.

dave_and_confused 09:08 11 Aug 2005

OEM will pass validation but if you ever get any problems Microsoft will not support you. OEM disks are discounted disks for system builders so you support should come from your system builder. In this case - you.

Most XP disks these days come with SP2 already on the CD. However when you install the legal version you will want to delete the partition your current XP is on and then make a new one and install XP to that. Basically wiping out the old XP and installing a new copy.

Remember you will be wiping all data so backup, backup, backup.

Dekka123 10:26 11 Aug 2005

Thank you so much for your input. I now know what I have to do. Which is a great relief.

dave_and_confused 10:31 11 Aug 2005

click here

When you get to 5. Choose an installation partition you will need to Delete the old partition (press D) and make a new one in the unpartitioned space (press C) - the instructions are on screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?