Installing XP on a pc with no operating system?

woowoowoo 09:55 23 Nov 2006

Hi - I have a laptop with no operating system. I would like to install windows XP on this. I have the windows disk and started up the machine with the disk in place, hoping it would jump into life and tell me what I should do - alas no.
I just get the message - "no operating system".
I know you clever people on here will know as you have taught me so much already.
Thanks for reading

Gongoozler 09:57 23 Nov 2006

You must first set up the BIOS for the CDROM to be the first boot device.

woowoowoo 10:00 23 Nov 2006

Sorry - how do I do this?

Gongoozler 10:09 23 Nov 2006

Depends on your laptop. Generally when you first turn on the computer you get a black and white screen, at the bottom will be a message such as "Press Del to enter setup". Do this and you get the BIOS setup menu. One of the menu items will enable you to change the boot sequence. I can't be more specific without seeing the manual for the computer. Tell me the make and model and I will see if I can download a copy.

VoG II 10:09 23 Nov 2006
  woowoowoo 10:16 23 Nov 2006

I have found my way into bios and boot device priority.
It says

Hard Disk drive
Atapi cd-rom drive
floppy disk drive
Realtek Boot Agaent

Does this mean the cd-rom is looked for after the hard drive?
I have a Fujitsu c series lifebook

anchor 10:26 23 Nov 2006

Yes, it does. You must change the order so the CD-Rom drive is first.

woowoowoo 10:27 23 Nov 2006

OOO - I have changed the order putting cd rom at the top - and it seems to be working - I have a blue windows setup screen - am assuming I just let it do its own thing now - once more PC advisor to the rescue.
thanks Gongoozler

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?