Installing Xp onto ME...

Ronyap 12:48 16 Jul 2006

Hi, I really need help please.

I have formatted my Harddisk which used to be Windws ME edition. I formatted my Harddisk by following this site:

click here

the 'DOS - C Drive' part. I ahve created the Startup Floppy, and I have formatted the harddisk. I have restarted my PC WITHOUT The Startup Disk and a message on a pitch black background pops up saying:

"Invalid System Disk,
Replace the Disk and then press any Key"

I cant do anything, even if I do insert the Windows Xp disk. The msg just repeates itself whenever I press I button.

I now restarted my Cmputer WITH the Startup Floppy Disk I created earlier on. This time, something came up. It says:

Microsoft Windows Millenium Startup Menu
----------------------------------------

1. Help
2. Start Computer with CD-ROM Support
3. Start Computer without CD-ROM Support
4. Minimal Boot

Enter a Choice: _

and then at the bottom it says:

F5= Safe Mode Shift+F5= Command Prompt Shift+F8 = Step-by-step Confirmation [N]

I tried and tried, but to no avail.

Whenever I choose an option, an A:\> comes out.

If I type : E:\setup.exe after it, it says: Invalid Specification or something. I dont know what to do. Now I have got a computer thats got nothing except a black screen and some white sentences. Oh, and I tried to install back the Windows ME with the Windows ME disk, but I dont know how. I cant even revert it back to WINDOWS ME now!

Help appreciated. Im begging for help. I am absolutely clueless.

VoG II 12:51 16 Jul 2006

You need to go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CD drive click here

Then follow click here for detailed instructions on installing XP.

Devil Fish 12:53 16 Jul 2006

set your cd drive to 1st bootable device in the bios and boot straight from the cd

Diodorus Siculus 12:53 16 Jul 2006

You PC may be able to boot from the CD.

When starting up, is there a message "press del to enter setup" or something similar?

If so, do it and from the screen you should be able to find the option to boot from CD. Often it is listed as first boot device, second boot device and so on.

Ensure that CD is set as first boot device and save the settings and exit..

Then start with the CD in the drive.

Ronyap 13:12 16 Jul 2006

I cant seem to get the BIOS. I know its rapidly tapping the F8 button while it starts up. Ive tried it before, but it doesnt work now. Is it because Ive formatted my Harddisk? Does formatting my Harddisk get rid of the Bios?

Stuartli 13:16 16 Jul 2006

No.

Stuartli 13:17 16 Jul 2006

To get into the Bios, in many instances, you have to hit the Delete button when prompted.

Ronyap 13:22 16 Jul 2006

Thank you very much
I got the BIOS ^^ NOw only another 110000 steps away from Victory

Ronyap 15:04 16 Jul 2006

Done, I have now installed Windows XP. But now, my internet connection doesnt work, whereas it worked before. ??

Ronyap 15:24 16 Jul 2006

I have found out that it is to do with the LAN (Local Area Network). I phoned up Belkin and thats what they said. But, I do not know how to install LAN. Any help please? Thanks

ed-0 17:32 16 Jul 2006

You may need to update the drivers for the lan. It's probably built into the motherboard, the lan connection that is.

Right click my computer and pick properties. Then pick hardware and now device manager. Are they any items with a yellow exclamation mark?

Lan is probably one of them. Download SIW click here to show you what is the make and model of your motherboard. Wen you have it, post it back on here. Someone will then look up for the XP drivers for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?