Installing windows xp without a cd drive or floppy

alexgray104 19:26 19 Feb 2007

Hi,

I have recently aquired a Compaq iPaq Desktop PC which doesn't have an OS installed. Nor does it have a floppy, or any removeable media for that matter. Which poses a problem, as I need to get Windows XP on. I have both a large USB Flash drive and USB CD-Rom drive. I tried first with the USB CDROM, but under boot options it only gives me the option of booting from HardDisk or NIC. That puts the USB Flash drive out of the Window aswell then.. So, I cannot install Windows it seems, unless I do it over the network. Which I haven't a clue how to do. I have bought a crossover cable and connected it to my laptop which says "local area connection 3 - Limited or No connectivity".
Anybody have any ideas on what to do to get it running?
Cheers,
AlexGray104.

bremner 19:35 19 Feb 2007

You are going to struggle - why not install a DVD Rom drive, only a tenner here click here

skidzy 19:40 19 Feb 2007

click here may help,but i would certainly follow Bremmer's advice as it looks tricky.

tomtojo 20:01 19 Feb 2007

This is for the future, maybe.
On your old pc, create folder on desktop, name it win setup, insert os disc, go to my computer, right click
cd-rom, and open,
from the edit menu, select copy to folder,select folder you created, all the content's of os will be copied to this folder.
If you want to do a quick install, open folder click on setup, away you go.if you can get any os on your
other pc, transfer folder, and install setup,
I know this is not a answer to your question, but might be useful.
Tom

alexgray104 20:19 19 Feb 2007

Cheers for replies everyone.

Bremmer - I think this is the approach I am probably going to have to go for, but it seems a waste of both time (waiting for it to arrive) and money, when I have a perfectly good USB Drive I am going to use with it.

Thanks for replies, keep 'em coming

Alex

tomtojo 20:33 19 Feb 2007

I dont know if this would work, maybe skidzy would know, could you not connect the hd to your laptop hd
as a second hd, install os on it then transfer backto your ipaq ???
Tom

alexgray104 20:46 19 Feb 2007

tomtojo:

I have thought about this, but am stuggling on how to physically connect them up.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful,

Cheers,

AlexGray104.

silverous 20:59 19 Feb 2007

Something like this:

click here

Your network issue might be because you aren't using a crossover cable? If you want to connect the two without a crossover cable you'll need to go via a router/switch.

tomtojo 21:00 19 Feb 2007

alexGray:
I did do it a few year's back with an old pc
,it was a 1 1/2 gig hd, I pigybacked another 1 1/2 gig onto it using multi flat connection's( do not know the proper name for them).but I don't know about a lap top to a desk top.
Tom

skidzy 21:00 19 Feb 2007

Im not sure if its actually possible this way without a bootdisk of sorts.Therefore requiring a 98se boot disk or xp boot disk.
Im wondering if xp can be installed if the drive is placed in an usb caddy,somehow i dont think so because it needs to be bootable.
This is a little out of my league really.

Possible the boot loader may have to be edited.This a tricky move and still think its best to buy a cd rom.

Im sure someone with more knowledge than me on this can help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?