Installing Windows XP over Windows XP

ramesh 21:24 17 Jan 2007

I have an ACER laptop which came with Windows XP, which I have updated with all the current updates. This however keeps crashing mainly when using microsoft word but also with some other programs. Windows cannot figure out why it is happening and I have reinstalled the OS from the original disk 3 times, everytime with the same result- works well for a few weeks and then starts crashing. I have also had it checked by a computer expert and he could not find any problems.I have come to the conclusion that the original OS is defective and would like to know if I purchase a new copy of Windows XP OS will I have to also buy new copies of the other software like Office. In other words is the licence tied to the computer or the OS? Also is it possible to instal XP over XP?

VoG II 21:40 17 Jan 2007

What else are you running apart from Office.

Computers do not just go wonky by themselves.

Stuartli 21:58 17 Jan 2007

Try an XP Repair. See:

click here

You will preserve programs, applications, configuration etc.

Ensure you continue to choose Install until you can select Repair (NOT Recovery Console).

ramesh 22:33 17 Jan 2007

Thanks , will try

ArrGee 23:23 17 Jan 2007

If it is still under guarantee, backup your docs and request a replacement.

The problem could exist in the hardware as opposed to the software.

If the problem occurs after a few weeks, set a restore point before the problems arise, and restore to that point when they do. That may eliminate faulty software.

Strawballs 01:55 18 Jan 2007

The licence for your office suite is to the computer if it is oem if it is retail then you can move it from machine to machine as long as it is only on one machine at a time.

Either way not tied to the OS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?