installing windows xp help needed

Bike-it 20:36 30 Jan 2009

I am giving away my desktop pc i need to get rid of all my personal data so if i reinstall a copy of windows xp will that take it back to a new state, also i have the xp product key but i will be using my daughters copy of windows will this be ok and will it work ok

Rahere 20:42 30 Jan 2009

A clean install should wipe everything.

Check which version of XP you had originally by looking on the Windows sticker. So long as the disk you use and code are for the same windows version ie Home or Pro - I don't think you can mix these. Also codes code vary between editions for example if the disc includes a Service pack 1 2 or 3 make sure this matches too.

Good luck!

tullie 20:48 30 Jan 2009

It also means that you will have to give it away without an operating system,i believe you can only use it legally for one computer.

Rahere 20:57 30 Jan 2009

Using another install cd/dvd isn't illegal - if you have a valid XP code and use it only on one machine at a time as Bike-it indicated he intends to do.

Or you could try a linux installation like Ubuntu - it has everything you need.

Your choice

Bike-it 20:58 30 Jan 2009

Tullie is it not legal as long as i have the product key.
rahere i have xp home on the desktop pc and it will be home i am going to install will this be ok?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:20 30 Jan 2009

i have the product key

yes

DieSse 23:08 30 Jan 2009

To ensure you make all data on the drive unrecoverable, you should wipe the disk clean first with a proper secure erase program.

Killdisk will do the job click here

Then re-installing as per above is fine, and leaves no prospect of any recoverable data.

Stuartli 00:15 31 Jan 2009

>>so if i reinstall a copy of windows xp will that take it back to a new state>>

It won't necessarily get rid of all your personal data.

Read this thread, for instance:

click here

DieSse 01:53 31 Jan 2009

Running a secure erase program WILL get rid of all data.

I have never in my life read of such stupidity as smashing drives with a hammer. Wasteful rubbish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017