installing windows xp from boot up

jonnyx6666 12:50 31 Dec 2006

i have been trying to load windows xp onto my brother in laws machine for days now but cannot get it to boot up from cd when i start pc up.
( PC IS PB CLUB 90)
i have changed boot seq to BOOT FROM cd but still does not work.
he has 2 hard drives installed ( 1 is 20g & 1 is 10g) the 10g is the master & 20g slave . i have also formatted the 20gb hdd no problem ( it doesnt have os installed on it the 10g has) i tried disconnecting the 10g (master ) and just booting up the 20g with windows xp in cd drive but get an error saying HARD DRIVE FAILURE "RUN SET UP"
all i want to do is formatt both hard drives , but cannot get the smaller 1 formatted , any suggestions or advise plz many thanks for help in previous posts, Merry xmas & happy new year to all , john m

VoG II 13:01 31 Dec 2006

Try with a set of boot floppies click here

Restart with the first floppy in the drive and follow the prompts to load the other floppies followed by the CD.

jonnyx6666 13:55 31 Dec 2006

thanks vog will try this , hope you had a good christmas and have a good NEW YEAR thanks for your help , cheers john mac

jonnyx6666 00:14 01 Jan 2007

THANKS VOG GOT SET UP DISKS , PUT THEM IN FORMATTED AS INSTRUCTIONS ON SCREEN , INSERTED WINDOWS XP ( PRO) THEN I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE SAYING "FOLLOWING VALUE IN THE ( .SIF ) FILE USED BY SET UP IS MISSING OR CORRUPT " " VALUE - 0 ON THE LINE IN SECTION " ALSO I GET ERROR MESSAGE SAYING NTLDR IS MISSING , any suggestions plz help as i have formatted hard drive with os system on now, cheers HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL, john m

terryf 02:14 01 Jan 2007

Did you put the 6 disks in in sequence in your drive then take out the 6th disk when you put in the cd because NTLdr missing is what you get when you leave a non-bootable floppy in the drive and the system is set to boot 1 floppy 2 cd 3 hd

Strawballs 20:03 01 Jan 2007

If you disconnected the master leaving just the slave try moving the jumper on the slave to cable select while doing this.

jonnyx6666 01:25 02 Jan 2007

strawballs tx for advice
still getting error message .sif file missing could it be a faulty windows cd itself ? just a thought, any suggestions cheers , joh m

terryf 02:05 02 Jan 2007

Does it look scratched? freebie disk checker click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?