installing windows 98se

turnip 60 21:34 22 Feb 2004

My son has been running Windows ME but he has messed it up somehow so that everything he does he gets all sorts of error messages. files missing etc.
He wants to take out ME and reinstall Windows 98
whats the best way of removing Win ME. I suggested using MSDOS but he gets error every time he tries.
cheers

Valvegrid 21:38 22 Feb 2004

The best way is to reformat the drive, this gives a step-by-step for installing: click here

Paranoid Android 21:39 22 Feb 2004

Unfortunately you will lose all your data, so back up whatever you need.

Boot the system using a Windows 98 startup disk.

Format the C: drive from the DOS prompt. If it won't format, you may need to fdisk first.

Once the drive is clean, reboot and run setup from the Windows 98 CD.

Marvin

Taran 21:45 22 Feb 2004

click here for a visual guide to installing Windows 98SE.

click here if you need to download a suitable floppy startup boot disk to install Windows.

Please note that you will need to have all the device drivers for the computer hardware - graphics card, sound card, modem, network card, even the motherboard may require specific drivers. If you don't have the installation disks for the hardware I suggest you wait until you have all of the drivers otherwise Windows will not run well at all which kind of defeats the whole point of a reinstallation.

If you can install software at all you could run a utility like Belarc Advisor click here which will output a report that you can print off. The report will be a pretty accurate list of the hardware the system is built from, and if you can identify your components like this you can source the individual drivers from the manufacturers websites.

Regards

Taran

sattman 22:08 22 Feb 2004

Reformatting the drive is a pretty formitable task especially if you are not computor experienced, As Taran indicates

Identifying the installed equipment and the finding the correct drivers alone can be horrendous.

Would have thought worth a try first to reinstall ME over the top and see what happpens.

Also you may have windows 98 on your computor as the original ME installion I believe allowed you to retain it, I would have to investigate how you reinstate it.

turnip 60 22:25 22 Feb 2004

Thanks very much everyone you have been a great help .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?