installing windows 98 on new hard disk

driveteach 21:59 16 Feb 2003

I am trying to install a new hard disk in my sons computer. disk is formatted 2.1 GB however when i try to load win 98 d:drive (cd rom) not recognised any help would be appreciated.

Paul Keogh

AMD_MAN23 22:06 16 Feb 2003

Are you booting from the cd or a bootable floppy disk?

c.b.

driveteach 22:20 16 Feb 2003

Have tried both

MAJ 23:43 16 Feb 2003

Sounds like the CD-ROM drive is kaput, driveteach.

woodchip 23:56 16 Feb 2003

Download a boot disk from hear click here top one on list, start with the disc it will load CD drivers but the letter may change for example if you CD letter was D:\ it may now be E:\ until you get windows loaded

Lone Crow 00:07 17 Feb 2003

A problem with Win98 (that was fixed in WinME) is that when you create an Emergency Boot Disk in 98 the CD-ROM driver is NOT automatically added, so when you boot with it there is no CD drive! How the heck MicroSods let that one through I don't know, but there you go! You either have to add the CD-ROM driver manually to your boot disk or use an off-the-shelf version such as woodchip has mentioned. LC.

woodchip 00:16 17 Feb 2003

Don't know where you got that one from as I have never had that problem when creating a rescue disc in Add\Remove programs. Admitted it does not put the CD drivers on if you just copy system files

y_not 06:33 17 Feb 2003

Is the HDD recognised in the BIOS?

You mentioned that it's "a formatted 2.1Gb" .... how do you know its formatted; not trying to be clever just asking if you formatted it or if someone told you that they have formatted it.

As woodchip suggests download a boot disk and then, at the A:> type FDISK and select optioon 4 to view partitions. This will give much information about if the drive is formatted, the file type (could be NTFS) etc.

Lone Crow 20:55 17 Feb 2003

It was a known problem with Win98, as I understood it, that CD-ROM drivers weren't copied when a boot disk was made. The 98 on my earlier IBM Aptiva certainly had that problem! Perhaps the later 2nd edition fixed it? Cheers. LC

Les 21:12 17 Feb 2003

I have Win98SE on my computer. I had to use the boot disk (made when I received the computer) to reinstall, as I had no trouble with the CD drive I guess that Win 98SE was altered as you suggest.

Les

driveteach 16:20 18 Feb 2003

Thank's everyone

the problem was the cd rom not recognised when booting from start up disk. borrowed cd from my pc win 98 loaded ok. now have to buy dvd drive to replace cd rom in mine (kids )ha.

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone