Installing Windows 7 upgrade

tamsin 15:02 16 Jul 2009

I currently run a dual boot system NTFS Vista Home Premium SP1 and Win XP SP3. I am interested in moving to Windows 7.
Please can I install Win 7 over the top of Vista without wiping my disk. Reading some of the comments on your site it would appear that I can but would like to be sure before I attempt it.

laurie53 19:31 16 Jul 2009

You might be better off looking at the Windows 7 Forum and perhaps reposting your question there.

If you do re-post make sure people know it's a duplicate post.

lotvic 20:04 16 Jul 2009

On the download website for Windows 7 click here it tells you amongst other things:
"Installation: You can install the Windows 7 RC on a PC running Windows Vista without backing up the PC—but we encourage you to make a backup for safe keeping. If you're running Windows XP or the Windows 7 Beta, you'll need to backup your data, then do a clean installation of the RC, then reinstall your applications and restore your data. If you need to do a backup, please see How to back up your PC for more details and a suggestion for how to backup a PC running Windows 7 Beta or Windows Vista. "

click here for the FAQ for W7 RC
"Can I upgrade directly from Windows Vista to the RC?

Yes. If you're running Windows Vista, you can install Window 7 RC without having to back up and reinstall your programs and data. But to be on the safe side, please do back up your data before you start"

Best advice is to buy a new harddrive.
Take out your present working one
Put the new harddrive in and install W7 RC on that.

Then you will be able to always go back to your old working system by simply swapping the harddrives.

Read the Windows 7 forum (link on left of this page) for others experiences and comments.

tamsin 15:50 17 Jul 2009

Thanks for responses - sorry I had not relised there was a separate forum for Win 7.
I am backing up a full disc image and also separately backing up personal files. Will look more on WIN 7 forum.

gazzaho 19:22 17 Jul 2009

You can install Windows 7 RC onto a Virtual Hard Drive this click here page will show you how to go about doing this. I've installed it onto my notebook using this method, however I haven't tried deleting the Virtual Hard Disk in order to remove it. This seems pretty simple to do but as I haven't tried I can't confirm how easy it is.

Installing Windows 7 this way seems the easiest way to do it as there is no dual booting in the normal sense involved and no partition to create.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?