Installing Windows 7 - driver question

Pineman100 10:02 21 Apr 2010

I'm about to do a re-format and clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premium on my wife's laptop (which currently runs Vista Home Premium).

I have used Driver Max to create a CD of all her driver files. The great majority of the drivers identified by Driver Max are labelled "Default Windows driver", although there are a few others too.

My question is this - when I've installed Windows 7, should I reinstall the old drivers labelled "Windows default driver" or would I overwrite newer W7 drivers if I did that?

michaelw 10:36 21 Apr 2010

There is a giveaway of the day which may help you better click here

Pineman100 10:46 21 Apr 2010

Thanks michaelw, but I've already done it with Driver Max.

birdface 11:04 21 Apr 2010

I downloaded W/7 on to a new Tower and did not need to load any drivers so whether they were already on the disc or updated by Microsoft I am not sure.
Windows7 worked without me downloading any drivers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:07 21 Apr 2010

No forget Vista drivers

let windows 7 find and install drivers, however you will need to find windows 7 drivers for the equipment that windows 7 does not have drivers built in.

If you cannot find windows 7 drivers then sometimes a Vista driver will work.

Pineman100 12:03 21 Apr 2010

I've now done the clean W7 install. At first the new system couldn't find our wireless network, and the display settings were wrong. So, using the CD that Driver Max created, I just installed the old drivers for the wi-fi card and the display drivers, and now all is well.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017