installing W98se alongside XP already installed

dracsville 16:01 05 Aug 2006

I cannot get my Games web site to work properly after trying every conceivable alternative, even GameSpy appears to be stumped. It freezes almost immediately without getting into any games room. So I wish to install Win98se alongside XP to see if that will work... it does ok on my old computer. Can anyone advise about this?

dracsville 16:03 05 Aug 2006

I cannot get my Games web site to work properly after trying every conceivable alternative, even GameSpy appears to be stumped. It freezes almost immediately without getting into any games room. So I wish to install Win98se alongside XP to see if that will work... it does ok on my old computer. Can anyone advise about this?

Pamy 16:03 05 Aug 2006

Think you have to do it the other way round

Zeppelyn 16:06 05 Aug 2006

It can be done, have a look at this :-

click here

p;3 16:43 05 Aug 2006

unless I am wrong;the poster wishes to have both win 98se and XP on the same machine? BUT; how much room do you have on the pc to do this?

(I did have both win 98se and win 2000 on one of mine by utilizing Partition Magic)

woodchip 16:53 05 Aug 2006

Win98 as to go on C:\ drive for it to work. Also check the link out above from Zeppelyn

dracsville 13:53 06 Aug 2006

Using XP with a new computer I've been unable to join a certain gaming site and have been considering installing Win98se to use instead, which has worked fine on my old computer. But if I do resort to this then is XP (although not loaded) still going to be able to interfer with my gaining access to my gaming site..?

Terry Brown 14:16 06 Aug 2006

The first thing to check is your hard drive format. If it is formatted as NTFS, you will not be able to install Win98 as this requires a FAT or FAT32 formatted system. Unfortunatly you cannot convert NTFS to FAT32 (but you can convert FAT32 to NTFS).
The only way (I can see) is to put a second hard drive, and install Win98 on that, making it a dual boot system.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017