installing vista updates freezes my laptop

ade smith 23:31 15 Aug 2010

My sony vaio laptop freezes after trying to install updates, have to power down to restart it. Upon restarting it runs fine for about 10 - 15 mins then freezes again. Tried turning off update but still the same, sometimes on start up I get the screen saying configuring updates but stays at 0% then goes to log on page. Runs ok in safe mode for up to a couple of hours.

Started it up in diagnostic mode and all seemed ok, then restarted it in normal mode and all seemed to be ok until again trying to install updates! Did notice that after running in diagnostic mode and before installing updates the hard drive was running along quietly but after trying to install updates it got very noisy causing the freezing.

Mouse still moves around but unable to shut down programs.

Ran Regcure but still the same, tried defender but can never finish scan before freezing even in safemode. Can I run defender scan in diagnostic mode and if so how do I do it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ade

MAJ 23:37 15 Aug 2010

Try installing the updates one at a time until you find the one that's causing the problem.

birdface 08:59 16 Aug 2010

There was a bad windows update that caused a lot of problems.KB2286198
Try Add Remove and if it has been downloaded remove it and see if your computer works any better.
Regcure I would remove as it has been known to cause more problems than it fixes.
C Cleaner is free and is very popular.

ade smith 08:08 02 Sep 2010

Had a look at updates and found that there are a lot of updates that have failed to install and the earliest of these are

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista (KB980182)

Installation date: ?05/?04/?2010 15:36

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8007045D

and

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (KB948465)

Installation date: ?05/?04/?2010 19:23

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80010108

I tried installing service pack 2 manually and it froze the computer after about an hour into installing it, it seems similar to running defender that it freezes after a certain amount of time and the only way to restart the computer is by shutting it down by pressing the power button

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?